Installing garage door springs can be daunting because the job involves the risk of injury. You can try DIY methods to replace old garage door springs provided you have relevant experience and the required tools. However, it’s a challenging task compared to other home improvement repairs. Hiring the best garage door company in Sacramento is necessary for old garage door spring replacement. The National Electronic Injury Surveillance System estimates that about 2,000 individuals are severely injured every year by garage doors. The statistic is alarming because it shows lack of knowledge and experience can worsen things.
Here are the steps for replacing a broken garage door spring in Sacramento.
- Open the garage door and remove the pressure in the spring. Fix the spring with a clamp.
- Disengage the garage door opener to prevent sudden activation.
- Use a piece of tape to mark where the pulley is connected. You’ll need to reinstall it in the same place later.
- Mark the pulley’s connection point with a piece of tape. Later on, you can reinstall it there.
- Detach the spring from the track bracket and pulley.
- Next comes detaching the safety cable from the track bracket. Make sure to practice other safety measures. The old spring should be removed after unthreading the cable.
- Fasten the track bracket with the replacement spring by putting the safety cable through it.
- Reconnect the safety cable and the pulley. Here practicing caution is necessary while putting the cable away from the pulley. Reinstall the pulley where the tape mark is visible.
- After releasing the clamps, reattach your door opener.
Reasons Garage Door Springs Break
Wear and Tear
Daily wear and tear are inevitable. However, replacing them on time can save you hassle and unexpectedly expensive repairs.
Rusty garage doors can affect the movement of coils and lead to sudden snaps.
Lack of Maintenance
Proper maintenance prolongs the lifespan of garage door springs. Additionally, regular tune-up and inspections are necessary.
Signs of a Faulty Garage Door Spring
- A loud snapping sound
- Malfunctioned door opener
- The door closes quickly and unexpectedly
- The door is bent
- The springs are no longer coiled tightly
Following these steps may guide you into installing the old garage door springs. However, it is suggested to leave the job to professionals because improper installation can make the door fall, causing serious injuries. Hire an expert in garage door repair in Sacramento CA, and get the best results. Since garage doors are heavy and expensive, expert assistance is necessary during installation. The proper operation of garage doors depends on the springs, which are heavy and require maintenance.